Do you find it hard to talk to your doctor about incontinence? It’s an important discussion to have. Below we explore the reasons that you should talk to your doctor if you experience episodes of incontinence.
Why you need to talk to your doctor
- Incontinence may be the result of another, underlying medical condition – don’t just assume incontinence is “normal”
- There may be bladder treatments, surgical procedures, physical therapies, lifestyle changes or medications available to you instead of relying on absorbent incontinence products for long term use
- Certain medications you are taking may be contributing to your incontinence
- Incontinence directly impacts your quality of life which can impact your healthcare plan
Questions to ask your doctor
- What type of incontinence do I have?
- What is causing my incontinence?
- What treatments or medications are available to me?
- What types of changes with my incontinence should I be watching for?
- How often should I be seen by my doctor regarding my incontinence?
- Do I need to see a specialist, e.g. urologist?
Partnering with ActivStyle and your doctor
- When you first request products from us, we will check your insurance eligibility and benefits to see if your incontinence products will be covered
- Once we determine your insurance eligibility, we will reach out to the doctor you have recently seen regarding your incontinence and request a prescription for the supplies you have requested
- After your first order has shipped, we will bill your insurance and show that we have demonstrated medical necessity (the prescription) for your products
- With your authorization, we will send your supplies on a monthly basis for as long as your prescription is valid (up to 12 months, varies by state)
- We will again reach out to your doctor for a renewal prescription shortly before the current one expires; you will likely need to be seen by your doctor again to update your incontinence status before they can sign the renewal